Thursday, October 29, 2009

La Mariposa Classrooms




These are the classrooms in which I will soon be an eager student at La Mariposa Spanish School. I look forward to four hours of formal instruction every morning and additional informal instruction in the afternoons. My teachers will be native Nicaraguans, and there will be no more than three people in my class. In addition to the standard lessons, I have requested special training in biological and ecological vocabulary, in part because I would like to be able to interact with Spanish-speaking visitors in the Everglades. If I don't come back speaking reasonably well, somebody needs to shake me!
I have taken Spanish classes in school, and I actually understand rather a lot of what I hear and overhear of spoken Spanish. I can read reasonably well if I have a dictionary handy. But I can't just open my mouth and speak. I have thought for a long time that if I could have an immersion experience for even a few weeks, it would get me over that barrier. This is it. And I hope it works.
Classroom images are from the La Mariposa website: http://www.mariposaspanishschool.com/

3 comments:

  1. Buenas suerte en Nicaragua.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exciting! Arriving on All Saints Day...

    Like to hear your experience...
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne, immersion is definitely the way to go! That is how I learned. Just open up, be fearless and start practicing! We will have to practice when we speak to each other.

    ReplyDelete